Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2024

Vehicle Enthusiasm is Limited By Space

 I've gotten to the point in my career where I have a little extra now and then.  So as a car nut I want to spend it on cars of course.  I see so many exciting vehicles out there, but I've got a one stall garage.  So I've filled my hobby about as much as I can.  I have a summer car in the garage, and a daily in the driveway.  The daily being a 2017 Focus RS which honestly I don't feel good about leaving in the weather.   I also have a 1970 Plymouth Duster 340 sitting about 700 miles away on my mother's farm.  It's been disassembled and was ready for a resto when I decided to go to college instead. It's my first car and I don't know if I'd ever be able to sell it.

I would love to have my Plymouth here with me so I could work on the restoration, but I just don't have the space.  I've been trying to think of a solution such as possibly renting a space, but that creates new issues such as security and availability.

Storage spaces usually don't have power and don't want you working there.  More official locations generally rent at a price point as if they expect you to be running a business from it.  The only real option seems to be renting space from a private person which for me would open an entire closet of security issues.

I've heard several stories of owners letting friends or family poke around their stuff while they weren't around.  I had two friends that rented from a space that had locked stalls under one roof which sounded great.  However the walls didn't got clear to the roof and one night there was a break in.  The thieves hopped the walls and stole everyone's tools.

Ideally you'd want a well lit, secure, private space with power and heat which honestly just sounds like your own damn garage.  I'm just not sure that's enough to send me out looking for a new 30 year mortgage. 

Any suggestions to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment