Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

DIY Brake Job

So the rear pads were making a terrible metal on metal grinding sound.  Apparently Mustangs don't have the wear warning on the pads so you have to keep an eye on them.  I spoke to the dealer and they quoted a "worst case" scenario of brakes and rotors for $500 per axle.  I thought that was nuts so I decided to give it a try myself. 

I have done pad changes in the past but only on old muscle car drum brakes.  Never tried discs.  But it turns out to be stupid simple.  You do need to rent a tool to compress the brake but as long as you buy the pads from the same part store they don't charge you at all for the rental.

As you can see below the pad was worn clear down to the clip.  The change was super easy.  Taking it to the dealer would have been a huge waste of money so glad I did it myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment